Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Gym Friends - Alex

"where has Alex been?" I asked when I was getting the ticket to the fitness class.
"He is not working here any more." The new staff replied absently.
"Oh, which building is he working now?"
"He left." His cold tone suggested that any further inquires were not encouraged.

Alex used to be a staff member at our gym. He was about fifty. He was short and strong which gave him a "gym guy" identification easily. One of his duties was to avoid overflow in some popular group fitness classes. Therefore, he was often seen to hand out or collect tickets. That was also how I became acquainted with him.

I remembered it took him a long time to remember my name. For a period of time, our conversation had a simple pattern. We exchanged greetings first, then he asked for my name and I told him. The repetition made me start guiltily as if I had proven again my name sounded so alien to people in this country. I supposed he also felt awkward. "I will remember your name this time." One day he said and he did.

It was him who first noticed my uplifting mood after the workout. "You should keep coming to gym. You always have that beautiful smile on your face after the workout." One day he said when I was waving hands to say goodbye after the exercise. He was so sincere at that moment that it kept me wondering till now what I looked like most of the time to others. Confused, tired, dull, day-dreaming?

" I will." I promised him with a generous smile I could afford only after an hour of hard kicking and punching.

After the new year, I met most of my gym friends but not him. "He might take a long vacation. Everyone needs a good vacation some times." I thought. However, as my imaginary
Alex's vacation got longer and longer, the theory became less and less convincing. Finally, I was told he had been laid off. Strangely enough, the idea that I would never have chance to wish him happy new year occurred to me right after hearing the sad and shocking news.

"He was quite cheerful before the holiday break." People started guessing the exact time he was leaving. Uninteresting and meaningless as I felt, I didn't join the gossip and walked away.

Now, I still go to gym every day. But I am not expecting to meet Alex again. As usual, I get my ticket, put on my gym outfit and sweat. There was once a new print fitness ticket which reminded me of him. "I hope all of us have a happy 2012 no matter what." I thought to myself while staring at the new print.

No comments:

Post a Comment